Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hair and Nails

If you haven't seen me in a while my appearance has changed a little on its own and then I have helped it along. My whole life I have been consistently praised for one particular thing, and I treasured that, it has been my hair. It has always been very thick and hairdressers loved to play with it. It took me five years to grow out what the hospital butchered the first time. If you do the math it was a little over a year ago when I finally let go and started to really play with it again. I have been having fun with both the cut and the color. The loss of my hair this time has been a little different. Last time is what cut within 1/4 inch of my scalp if it was that long and it was in the crown. That meant I couldn't see it in the mirror as easily and I had a lot more hair in the front to pull back and cover it up with. This time it is smack on the top of my head, my scalp is in full view, and there is a very thin amount to pull back. The whole spot is maybe 3 x 3. It is sparse, but it is starting to grow! The words peach fuzz have new meaning to me! Therefore I pull it back and....add a hair piece. My new best friend is fake hair. I never dreamed I could find some fun in this process, but playing with hair pieces is fun and it makes me feel pretty when I look in the mirror. I wore hats for a few weeks, but at school it felt like I was advertising that something is wrong. Everyone was supportive of however I got through this, but I felt sick when I saw myself no matter what. I now have instant curls, a long blond pony tail, a spiky bun type comb, and more coming in the mail. My school buddies just start to giggle when they see my come in with something new. And Mollie's reaction is by far the best! She loves to watch me play as I create in the mornings and she is waiting to earn her own wig. She wants the Hannah Montana version. The funny thing about that is she and Ron decided that I look like Mama Montana with my blond hair.
Mollie has had a lot to deal with since Christmas too. We have buried both mine and Ron's grandmothers inside of 8 weeks and I had surgery while trying to keep things regular at school for her. I have been trying to add some special mother/daughter time, so today we got our nails done. She loved it! They painted her nails hot pink and then added a little flower design to two nails with a little glitter. I promise its not as gaudy as it sounds and she was thrilled. I got a simple french manicure, which disappointed Mollie.
We capped off the evening with dinner at mexican restaurant with Ron. Mollie could live off of salsa if we would let her! It has begun to rain again and we have one more school day to make it through so I bid you good night.

1 comments:

The Harris Family said...

I've been thinking about taking Alex to get her nails done. I think she would love it. I'll be sure to notice Mollie's nails on Saturday!